Monday, July 4, 2011

Working on July

Judy at Patchwork Times picked #2 on the list to work on in July. That would be this quilt -


I thought  -- "how nice"!  A small baby quilt that just needs to be quilted and bound -- I can whip that out in no time even in the busy month of July.

I put this top together quite a few years back.  Wendy was probably just a toddler when Sharyn picked out some fabrics to get started on a big bed quilt for her.  I asked her to give me a fat quarter off of each piece she bought and I'd put together a baby quilt to match -- just to have on hand when or if she ever had another girl.  So far that hasn't happened -- just brothers for Wendy.  So the quilt sat waiting in my pile of tops to be completed.

I spray basted the quilt this morning and as I was looking at it and thinking I could machine quilt it and probably finish it in a day or two, I had second thoughts.  I've been having so much fun hand quilting my June challenge quilt, and I happened to have a perfect color of perl cotton for this one -- I decided it really needed hand quilting to make me love it.


It'll take me a little longer to finish, and with a busy July I may not get it done -- but when I do, I know I'll love it.  I already do.  The decorative stitches were done by machine when I put the top together.  I think the hand quilting really softens it.

2 comments:

  1. Another treasure! The hand quilting adds just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilting...what a great idea! It's more important to enjoy yourself than to finish quickly!

    ReplyDelete