Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What's Cooking Wednesday - Week 4

The ingredient for this week was cream style corn.  Rarely would you find that in my cupboard, but I was willing to give it a try.  I decided to dig through my "family cookbooks" to see what I could find.

In the Tormanen family cookbook, I found a recipe for Corn Squash Bake -

1/4 c chopped onion
1 stick melted butter
1 can cream corn
1 (10 oz) pkg frozen squash
1 1/2 sleeves crushed saltine crackers
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1 c French onion rings

Saute 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/2 stick butter.
Add corn, squash, and 1 sleeve of crushed saltine crackers.  Cook until squash is well mixed into corn mixture.
Mix in 3/4 cup shredded cheese (save about 1/4 cup for top).
Place in a 2 quart baking dish.
Cook in a skillet 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 sleeve crushed saltine crackers and French onion rings.  Place on top of corn bake.
Bake 350 uncovered for 20 minutes.

It didn't specify in the recipe when to put the 1/4 cup of saved cheese on top.  I added it before baking - I might try next time to add it after 15 minutes.
I wasn't able to find frozen squash, so I baked an acorn squash and used that.

I really enjoyed the blend of the corn and squash taste - I'll most likely try this recipe again.



It doesn't look much different than my corn and cabbage dish from 2 weeks ago does it!?

You can find more recipes using cream style corn over at Patchwork Times.

Oh dear - I see the ingredient for next week is Tofu!  I may wimp out on that one!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting combination of ingredients ~ have to give it a try. You'll be surprised what all you can do with tofu.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, the french onion rings and cheese is what sold me! i'm going to write this one down. thanx!

    ReplyDelete