Monday, July 19, 2010

Auntie Mary's Quilt

This Cathedral Window quilt was made by Aunt Mary and is dated January 9, 1986, which is the date she turned 82 years old. I’m not able to find a date that she started the quilt, but I’m sure it was many years in the making. It’s likely that many of the fabrics came from her own “stash,” however I do recognize a few that came from Barb and from me, so chances are she collected scraps from others also. The quilt measures 98” x 88”.








Auntie Mary was born on January 9, 1904, in Pudasjarvi, Finland, and emigrated to the United States on June 23, 1905. She died at the age of 96, on April 2, 2000. She filled many of our lives with wonderful memories. I love the memories I have of visiting her home in Big Traverse and being served fresh blueberries with real cream – yummy! It didn’t matter to her that I was probably only 5 or 6 years old – she served it up in china bowls. That must have been the start of my love of blueberries and pretty china dishes.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. Good memories indeed. The square to the left of the signature (pink) was fabric from a dress that Mom made for Carla when she was about 2 yrs old. Wish I could find a picture of her in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure! I don't remember ever seeing this quilt. Mary was quite a lady.

    ReplyDelete