Saturday, May 28, 2011

Basting Away

I finally put together a backing for my May UFO Challenge quilt and got down to the job of basting it together.

First I had to shove my kitchen table and chairs out of the way and sweep all the crumbs off the floor. Normally I would give the floor a quick wash before laying out a quilt on it, but I opted for a sweep this time.



After laying out the backing and taping it(wrong side up) to the floor with some painters' tape, I smoothed out the batting and the quilt top on top of it.

And started pinning.

I try to keep the pins approximately four fingers apart. The rows look further apart in this picture, but they're close to the same distance.




I just start at one end and roll as I go -- and take breaks between every three or four rows to give my back a rest.



This twin sized quilt ended up with about 450 pins.

I'm getting a late start on the quilting -- it looks a little iffy on getting it done before the end of the month, but I'll give it a good try.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a few days of super sewing ahead. Amazes me how much you accomplish. Good luck. Love the new header and background, too.

    ReplyDelete