When Judy drew #5 for our January UFO Challenge, I realized it was one that would be a year long project. It was tough starting out the year without a finished quilt, but it does feel good to have made some progress. Lots of time was spent assembling the units that would make the blocks.
I managed to get all the pieces cut out and filled a box with parts that at some point will be 80 6" blocks.
I did complete 21 of them for January. I sure am loving my design wall!
I had to remove the spider web blocks before they were assembled. They're set aside for now and may just end up going on my 2013 UFO list.
Adding the Free Motion Quilting Challenge this year is taking up a lot of my stitching time with almost nothing but practice samples to show for it. I did use one of the January samples to make a little pocket for my new Kindle.
The February FMQ challenge is feather quilting, with a tutorial by the very talented Diane Gaudinski. Definitely a challenge!
To ease the frustration of not completing my January UFO challenge, I spent a day cutting up some pink scraps and managed to put together a simple quilt top -- baby size. Another one into the pile of "to be quilted"!
I'm not expecting to get too much done in February. The UFO Challenge project is a something I started years ago -- a Goose in the Pond lap quilt. It'll be a challenge just to find the fabric to complete it. With my daughter and two grandsons arriving soon for a fun winter week, it'll be the middle of a short month before I even get started.